January 14, 2013

Working on the new Nursery

First, I should explain that there is a small room off of our bedroom that was originally going to be redone as a bathroom, but nearly two years ago when we were in the process of doing my bedroom, the bathroom sort of fell to the waste sides. We completely gutted it, there isn't a toilet or a sink (or even a place for a sink). All we currently have in there is a washer/dryer combo and a bunch of junk that didn't have a home elsewhere in the house. Basically, it's become a storage room. It's not that big at all, a whopping 5x12 sized room. But with my designer brain always working, I'd always envisioned (loooong before we were even pregnant with baby #2) creating a small (tiny) nursery in there. This is the door in my bedroom that leads to the room.



My dad, who is usually the genius creator behind all of my projects drew up a floor plan after taking measurements and we got this. Yes, this image is upside down, no you aren't going crazy. I did that because this is the actual layout of the room as you enter. On the right side of the room we will be building a closet that will have an accordion door for the washer/dryer combo, so we can still have a place for laundry. You know how easy it will be to just throw dirty baby clothes right from baby to the washer with it all being in one room?! AMAZING.

(click image to see a larger size)


All of the walls in there right now are awful and will be studded out with 2x3's and then covered in sheet rock. We'll be adding brand new molding around the entire room, a new window sill, brand new flooring as well as brand new furniture for baby (all from IKEA of course) as well as running new electrical outlets and putting in a new light. Dad says we should have the entire room built in no more than 2 to 3 weeks. Then I paint!

I'm doing a yellow & gray color scheme with elephants (durr) as my theme. You know how much I love elephants! Just click the elephants tag on the sidebar, if you aren't aware. I have so many DIY projects in mind for decor it's unreal! I can't wait to get started on everything in a couple weeks. I'll of course keep everyone updated on our progress as we go.

PS. Keep voting on baby gender in the sidebar! :)