April 18, 2012

finishin' the kitchen

I'll finally have some pictures of the finished kitchen for you guys in the next couple weeks. We're going tomorrow to buy the bead board for the back splash from Home Depot. Then we'll work on getting it put into place.

But to hold you over until the final reveal of the kitchen being completely finished (on one side! still gotta work on the floor to ceiling cabinets and window seat as mentioned here) I figured I'd go ahead and show you the process of painting the cabinets from white to navy blue.

This is what they looked like originally, before the paint. You can also see the old countertops in this picture too.



One thing I learned thanks to internet searching is to put a pushpin at all four corners of the cabinet doors before painting so that they don't stick to whatever you lay them on, for example news paper or plastic sheets or whatever you choose to use.






First I primed them with KILZ primer. I did two coats of primer, after cleaning them. Most people use a special cleaner before painting cabinets but I didn't have anything like that, so I just used Windex and paper towels. This is after two coats of primer.



It says on the can to let it dry for 30 minutes in between each coat but I waited about an hour in between, just to be sure it was dry. Then I started painting with the color I picked Deep Blue Sea by Behr. This is after one coat I think. I did three.



This is after I finished painting the final coat of the blue. It was still wet in this picture, which is why it's so shiny.



Annnd this is the finished product. I figured I'd go ahead and show you the new counter tops too. If you look at the walls behind the sink area, under the top cabinets, which I also painted a light grey color & the wall behind the stove, that is where the bead board will be going. I'll probably be painting that white.



Here is a wider view of the kitchen. The bead board will be behind the fridge & oven as well.



We got the counter at Ikea, of course. You can check it out on their website here. The countertops are also a greyish silver color. They match everything so perfectly. I was originally going to do a dark wood countertop but once I saw these, I changed my mind instantly because the color was perfect! I'm really happy with these countertops. They are SO EASY to keep clean!! I'm very happy with them.

If you have any questions about this process at all, feel free to ask me about it!