February 16, 2012

Befores & Afters

I decided before I do the big reveal of my new living room/dining room I'd share a few before & afters of a couple things I painted to match my new living room/dining room. First up is an old wood cabinet that I got from one of Paul's friends. I got it about 2 or 3 years ago and it pretty much just sat with the same things inside it in the same place. Mostly just wedding goodies & baseball memorabilia. I knew right from the beginning of designing my LR/DR that I wanted to keep it & paint it & really spiff it up a bit.

Here are some befores....



First I pulled the backing off by prying the nails out of the sides with a spackle thingy (I'm not good with terms, ok?) & also a hammer, which isn't pictured since that takes two hands. Ha!


Here is the back of it after I got it off. Ready for the fabric I wanted to use as a background.


This is the fabric I chose at JoAnn's. It was $34.99 a yard! I know, cray cray! But thankfully my mom gave me two 40% off coupons so it was allll good.


This is the adhesive that I used. I just sprayed the back board like crazy & then laid the fabric onto it & pressed it down into place, then hot glued the corners down so nothing was sticking out.


Here she is! All pretty!




Isn't she preeeetty? :) I love it!

Up next is a lamp I found at a local thrift store for 3 bucks. She was ugly & purple which to me is the worst color in. the. world. Yes, ever. HAAATE it. Anyway.





Here she is all primed & ready for paint! I decided I wanted to paint her a light yellow. Because yellow makes me happy. :)




This is with two coats of yellow paint. I did three or four.




Annnd here she is all finished! Light on. I don't know why the yellow looks so BRIGHT but the yellow I chose is actually a very light yellow, it's really pretty. The actual color is probably closer to the pictures above when I was still in the painting faze.


Lights off. Still looks SUPER bright but, like I said, it isn't this crazy of a yellow. It's the lighting I think.


And lastly a close up of the lamp shade that I picked up at IKEA. I think it's perfect for this lamp. It's so pretty on my yellow lamp. :)



That's all for now. I'll be posting pictures of the big reveal of my LR/DR in a week or so after my wall decal gets here. It's coming from Hong Kong sooo yeah I gotta wait! When I get that on the main wall, you'll get pictures, promise! Until then, hope you all have a fabulous weekend!

Hopefully some of you comment! I'd love to hear... err see what you think! ;)