June 19, 2012

Little improvements

I know, I've been totally slacking lately with the updates. Sorry! Huge sorry! I guess time just gets away from me. What are ya gonna do? Yanno? It happens.

Warning: Before viewing the pictures below, be aware that I still don't have access to a good working camera. These were taken with my Nokia. View at your own risk. haha ;P

Anyway, enough excuses. I've been pretty busy around here doing things here and there. I recently took down the big ugly fluorescent light that was in between my kitchen & living room. I had been asking Paul to do it since.. I don't know, February to take it down but you know if you want something done right, you might as well just do it yourself. So after months of looking at it, I finally just got it done.

Before... (from when it was Easter time)


And after... from the kitchen side.


& the living room side.


So much better.

We also took a trip to Ikea last week to pick up the dishes I have been impatiently waiting for. I also picked up these Vivan curtains for the front window since we needed something a little more private. If you stand at end of our driveway and look at the front window at night, you could see right in & that is a problem, until now! These curtains are a tad bit thicker & worked perfectly on the privacy issue. I got gray of course, they match my walls perfectly!



I took this picture at night, so it's super dark, but during the day they make the room much darker which is really good for summer because it is hot as hell outside! Keeps the room much cooler.



So you can see how they are hung... behind the pretty sheer curtains. So from the outside, you only see gray, which is fine with me.



My mom and I are going to hem them so that they reach just below the window. I only want the pretty blue & white curtains to be long and flowing. I'm sure months will go by before we actually get this done tho. lol.

Back to the kitchen for a moment. These are the dishes I got. White. Simple. Perfect.



And here they are all cleaned & put away... at the top you can see yellow bowls. I got those two for $1.99 at Ikea. I mean COME ON. I heart Ikea.


I also got yellow place mats for the kitchen table. I love pops of yellow in a room! These were .99 a piece I believe. I'm going to be painting the table black, top of it in chalkboard paint & the bench I'm gonna do a chevron print on. I'm excited to get started on this project VERY soon!



I've also been holding on to these E. A. T. letters since February. Well, I finally got on this project too.



I painted them yellow too! See a trend going here?



Then I picked a place in the kitchen to hang them. Hello lonely wall!



Goodbye lonely wall! Hello happy yellow letters! :)



And a wide shot of everything.



Overall I'm happy about the little improvements made in the last week or so. Doing little things really does make a big impact. I hope to share the finished kitchen within the new month or so. This kitchen redo has taken a lot longer than I'd planned but isn't that always the way it goes? Until next time! <3