January 20, 2014

Say bye, bye, bye to the front porch!

It ain't no lie, baby. Bye, bye, bye! The front porch is gonzo! Paul did 95% of the demo work, but I helped where I could being that I still had to watch Lily. I can't tell you how long I'd been waiting for that day to come. Yeeeaars. It's been a long time coming. I'm so excited to get the front of the house looking the way I want it to look... finally.

This is what the front of the house looked like before.


And this is after.


We have a lot ahead of us. But first, check out the mess we had to clean up.


What a mess! It didn't take long to clean it up though. 10 minutes to be exact. We called someone and had all of it hauled away for free, since they can just take it to a metal buyer and get paid for all of it. We didn't have the patience or time to do it so, we just wanted it gone.

I have big plans for the front of the house. I'll be painting the house again, this time a simple mixture of grays with a happy mint green door. Here are a couple of ideas...

I don't know how dark of gray the one I chose compared to this is, but it's close. I'll be doing a darker gray for the main part of the house and then a lighter gray for the accent and a light gray for the trim.



with this color door



If you scroll back up and look at the house after the porch was removed, you can kind of see an orange trim. That is the original color the house was before I attempted to paint it green and white. I never painted the orange because it all needs to be removed and rebuilt. That's one of the tasks we have ahead of us. As well as extend the portico over the door to the edge of the window, on the left. Then next to that we are building a pergola, like this...



I'd also like to add faux shutters for curb appeal. Then eventually, maybe next year add a white picket fence to the front of the house. We are also adding a new mailbox, maybe a white railing and sprucing up the garden. So many things to do! I can't wait to get started and share our journey along the way. Stay tuned! We're about to get knee deep in home diy!